The work of Erik Boker sheds light on our ambivalent relationship with art, music, language and literature. As a bit of a wanderer, his work is informed by anthropology and image and observation, collecting found objects, and using these artifacts to enter the play of art and non-art objects and tell stories about the inexorable absurdity encountering us, as well as the role of the artist and author. He is a fan of enigma, and Bob Dylan. He makes a radio show occasionally. And books. He calls himself a recovering artist and cultural proctologist. He is not allergic to gluten. He earned his MFA in the Netherlands in 2013, and he uses erik[@] to send and receive emails.

Various group exhibitions have included The Griffin Museum of Photography (Boston), de ServiceGarage (Amsterdam), Eleni Koroneou (Athens), Lodz Fotofestiwal Photographic Triennial (Lodz), India International Center (New Delhi), photo-eye Gallery (Santa Fe), The Lennox Contemporary (Toronto), Galerie Art Mur (Montreal), Center for Fine Art Photography (Fort Collins), The Lodz Art Centre (Lodz, Poland), drkrm gallery (Los Angeles), Annenburg Space for Photography (Los Angeles), Klompching Gallery (NYC), and Swiss Institute (NYC).


• 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water (480 mL), between 90˚-110˚F (30˚-40˚C)
• 1 whole package active dry yeast
• 4 cups all-purpose or 0.0 flour (500 g), lightly packed and leveled off, plus more for dusting
• 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
• 1 teaspoon olive oil

Heat water in pyrex measuring pitcher, 50 sec in microwave. Use thermometer to check temp.

Stir the yeast (plus optional 1/4 teaspoon sugar) into the water and allow the yeast to bloom until foamy.
Large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and salt. Once incorporated, create a small well in the middle and pour in the water and yeast mixture.
Mix with rubber spatula, or wetting your working hand before mixing so the dough doesn’t stick to your fingers. The water and flour should come together and a form rough dough that pulls away from the sides of the bowl. If the dough is too sticky, add more flour in small increments, about 1 tablespoon at a time. If the dough is too dry, add more water, 1 tablespoon at a time.
Make a rough ball, take a drizzle of olive oil and pat around the ball, Cover with a kitchen towel or cling wrap and let rise until doubled in size (about 1 ½-2 hours).
Uncover the dough and give it a few pokes with your finger. If the dough has risen properly, it should indent under the pressure of your finger and slowly deflate.
Using your hand or a rubber spatula, start from the rim of the bowl to work the dough loose from the sides and fold it up and towards the center of the bowl. Turn the bowl 90 degrees, and repeat until all the dough has been pulled from the sides and folded towards the center.
Dust again with flour, pat with oil, cover and let the dough rise again for another 1 ½-2 hours.
Optional 3rd rise: Dust and Fold the dough under itself several times to form a ball, then pinch together the seams of dough underneath. Place the dough seam-side down (lightly coated with olive oil and dusted with flour).
Cover and let rise for 1 hour.
Preheat the oven to 450 with the dutch oven in it. Lower-center rack. Put the lid on but ajar.
While preheating, take 2 pieces of parchment paper and lay crossed, dust a little with flour, and rest the dough in the center. After preheating, take out the dutch oven CAREFULLY, set on the stove, and holding some opposite corners of the parchment, slip the dough into the pan. Trim off the excess parchment.
Cover with the lid and return the pot to the oven.
Bake for 45 minutes, removing the lid for the last 15 minutes.
Remove bread from pot, cover, and let cool for 10 minutes before slicing.